It’s America’s birthday, and what better way to celebrate than with some festive AF Star Spangled ballsy bites. Whatever your plans are for the big day, these delicious balls of sugary, colorful, patriotic goodness are sure to be a hit with friends and family…and beer. Cheers, America!
- 1 box white cake mix, prepared as box instructs
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- White chocolate melts
- Red, White, and Blue sprinkles (get festive with it)
- Edible glitter optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make white cake as box instructs. Add an extra cup of water to the batter to make it more runny. Separate the white cake batter into 3 bowls putting 2 1/2 cups of batter in one bowl for the white batter, 1 ½ cups in the other bowls for the red and blue batters. If you have extra batter leftover, divide it evenly amongst the bowls by the spoonful.
- Once the batter is divided, follow the instructions to make each color:
- Red: 32 drops red
- Blue: 32 drops blue
- Using a tablespoon, scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the blue batter and pour it into the center of the pan. Wash the tablespoon, then scoop 2 1/2 tablespoons of the white batter and pour it on top of the blue batter, so that it begins to expand. Wash the tablespoon again, and scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the red batter, and pour it on top of the white. Repeat this with all the colors until the batter is gone. (FYI: the reason you use more white batter is so the colors don’t mesh together to make one color purple while baking).
- Bake for or 30 minutes, or the least amount of time the box instructs for your pan.
- When it is done baking, let the cake sit to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice the top of the cake off, then slice the cake from the center into small slivers, making sure each slice contains all the colors.
- Remove one slice from the pan and cut off the crisp bottom and side pieces of cake. (FYI: these are the pieces that have browned the most. You want to get the inside of the cake so you use the most moist parts).
- Press together, cupping the colors in order and squishing them into a ball. Do not over roll or the colors will mix together. It is okay if the balls are lumpy or uneven. Repeat for all the slices until you have run out of cake.
- Freeze the balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake balls from the freezer and set to the side. Scoop about half a cup of white chocolate melts and a teaspoon of vegetable oil into a bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 second intervals. Stir together and heat for another 30 seconds. Repeat until the white chocolate is thoroughly melted.
- Coat the frozen cake balls in white chocolate, then sprinkle with red, white, and blue sprinkles, and add a pinch of edible glitter.