These crispy rice balls are so surprisingly easy to make and extremely versatile. Sushi rice used to intimidate me, but it’s quite simple to make – just a tad time consuming. Lucky for all of us, Beyonce’s new album just came out and that will help you pass the time while you wait for your rice to cool! Enjoy!
Note: This recipe is the same, regardless of what you decide to stuff with. The spicy mayo mix is the same whether you want to mix it with salmon or tuna. You can alter however you want.
Sushi rice recipe provided by Alton Brown on the Food Network.
Serves: 16-20 rice balls
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 lb. sushi grade tuna, diced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon wasabi
- 1-2 tablespoons scallions, chopped (how many depends on your taste)
- Avocado (optional)
- Tempura flakes or Panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- Place sushi rice in a colander and rice with cold water until the water running through appears to be clear.
- Transfer the sushi rice to a medium sauce pan and add 2 cups of cold water. Heat the rice until the water reaches a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover the rice and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Microwave this mixture for 30 seconds and then stir.
- After the rice has sat for 10 minutes, pour it into a glass or wooden bowl and combine the rice with the vinegar mixture.
- Let the rice sit at room temperature until it cools.
- Once the rice has cooled, divide it into small sections and roll them into balls.
- Coat each ball with olive oil and sesame seeds.
- In a sauce pan or deep fryer, heat canola oil on medium heat and fry the rice balls until they are golden brown.
- Set the prepared crispy rice balls aside and prepare your spicy tuna mixture.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, sriracha, sesame oil and wasabi. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the diced tuna and chopped scallions to the mayonnaise mixture and mix until well blended.
- By now, your crispy rice balls should be cooled off. Scoop out the center of each crispy rice ball with a small spoon and fill with spicy tuna mixture. Top with a small avocado slice, more scallions and tempura flakes.
- Enjoy! ….OR mix it up with these cool versions: