A wise pixelated dancing banana once said, "it's peanut butter jelly time."
...But what did he mean? I spent a day in my kitchen trying to answer this question, and I'm quite certain he was talking about eating these peanut butter & jelly cupcakes AKA peanut butter cupcakes stuffed with strawberry jam and topped with a PB&J infused cream cheese frosting. If this isn't peanut butter jelly time, I don't know what is.
Serves: 12 cupcakes
For the Peanut Butter Cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup salted peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Strawberry jam or preserves, for filling
FOR THE PB&J CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the peanut butter, dark brown sugar and butter until smooth (approximately 1-2 minutes). Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla and mix on medium speed. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until all the ingredients combine.
4. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each one with batter ¾ of the way. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Let the cupcakes cool for about 20 minutes and prepare the frosting while they cool. (Recipe below).
6. Once the cupcakes are cool, scoop a small hole out of each and add strawberry jam until each hole is filled. You can also add peanut butter if you like a nice mix.
FOR THE FROSTING:
6. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter with a mixer until thoroughly blended.
7. Add the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until smooth. Finally, add the strawberry jam and mix.
8. Frost the cupcakes.