This is what happens when you're tired of the ramen burger and you want to invent something else with pasta buns.
SERVES: 10 SLIDERS
For the spaghetti buns:
- ½ lb spaghetti
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For the mozzarella meatballs:
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic & herb seasoning
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- mozzarella cheese (I used Ciliegine balls but you can also use slices of a fresh mozzarella log)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Boil the pasta until it is a bit softer than al dente. Drain the spaghetti, put the noodles into a bowl and refrigerate them for 20 minutes. Prepare the meatballs while they cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, marinara sauce, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil, garlic & herb seasoning, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Separate the ground beef mixture into 10 equal parts. Roll each piece into a ball, flatten it and place a piece of mozzarella cheese in the center. I used Ciliegine mozzarella balls, but you can also use fresh mozzarella slices or even shredded as long as you wrap it thoroughly in the meat (I recommend fresh mozzarella, though). Repeat for all of the meatballs and set them aside.
5. Take the pasta out of the refrigerator and mix all of the ingredients. Use your hands for the best results. Once the pasta mixture is blended thoroughly, use a cup or another circle-shaped item to form the buns. Place each one on a pan, sprinkle extra Parmesan cheese on top and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
6. Put the meatballs and the spaghetti buns in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the spaghetti buns halfway through so they cook evenly. The buns should look like this photo below. Cook longer if your meatballs seem too tender or if the buns don’t firm up enough. (It really depends on the size of the buns and the meatballs, but 15 minutes should generaly work.)
7. Take the spaghetti buns and meatballs out of the oven and smack them together with a dollop of marinara sauce.
Eat. Have a great day. Enjoy life. Xoxo.