S'mores are always in season. In the winter, they're great treats to eat while you snuggle up on the couch to hibernate and watch Netflix. In the summer, they're the perfect bonfire snack with a side of beer and/or hotdog. There's just something so classic about a s'more and that's why they never go out of style. But that's not to say we can't dress it up a little bit! A never flare never hurt nobody.
This summer, I'm spicing it up with this blondie s'more made with Lapsang Chai Raaka chocolate. I recently discovered Raaka Chocolate, an organic bean-to-bar chocolate that is crafted right in my backyard (sort of) in Brooklyn, and I loved their strong, unique flavors. A lot of their bars are so rich and dense with flavor that they should be enjoyed by themselves, but some of their flavors make for the perfect ingredients to add as a touch of flare to classic chocolate dishes.
Lapsang chai is a smoked black tea from the Lapu Mountain region of southeast China. On Raaka's website they say the Lapsang Chai bar "adds mystery and campfire essence to the pinewood flavor of Bolivian cacao" and I could not agree more. In fact, I picked this chocolate for the recipe before I even read that description! ~*OMG whaT a Coincidence~* !!!! This blondie s'more has just the right amount of smoky, spicy chocolate kick, with chocolate chunks inside the blondies and a square of chocolate melted underneath the marshmallow. This s'more is deliciously dressed up.
Prep time: 15
Total time: 50 min
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 bars Lapsang Chai Raaka chocolate
1 bag large marshmallows
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 12 baking pan.
2) Mix together butter with an electric mixer or a whisk, dark brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl until creamy. Continue to mix slowly and add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time. Keep mixing for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
3) In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt until thoroughly mixed throughout.
4) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until well-blended, Set the bowl aside.
5) Break both chocolate bars into large chunks. Mix into the batter.
6) Spread the batter into the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.
7) Set the blondes aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
8) Once the blondes have cooled, cut them into squares. Break the remaining Raaka chocolate bars into squares.
9) If you don't have the luxury of a campfire or candle, stack the chocolate square and marshmallow onto one blondie. Microwave for 15-25 seconds, until marshmallow begins to expand and melt.
10) Take a second blondie and stack on top to make a s'more. Stack double if you want a good Instagram picture ;)