If beer and bacon had a hot, oily love affair and then decided to go snuggle in a cushy sandwich bed, this beer-battered bacon BLT would be the end result.
- 12oz Beer
- 2 cups Flour, separated
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 lb Bacon, sliced
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- Sliced Brioche or Ciabatta
- Bibb Lettuce
- Avocado (optional)
1. Whisk together beer and 1 cup flour together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Prepare the each bacon strip by dredging them in the dry flour mixture and then fully coating them in the beer batter. Do this with each strip.
4. Heat oil in a pan at medium heat (about 350 F). When oil is hot, add a few pieces of the prepared bacon, being sure to not crowd the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat for the rest of the bacon.
5. To assemble sandwiches, toast the bread of your choice. Slather each side of the bread with mayonnaise. On the bottom slice of bread layer your tomatoes so that they stick to the mayonnaise. Top the tomato with the bacon. Add the lettuce to the top layer piece of bread and form the sandwich. If you want these to be served warm, place sandwiches on a pan over the stove for a few minutes. Avoiding flipping the sandwiches or placing them in an oven to keep warm as the lettuce will wilt.
Recipe assistance: Laura Katz