Apple pie, cheese and sandwiches are three of the greatest inventions in the history of the world, so we decided to make a super invention of our own. This is the apple pie croque monsieur. It is best enjoyed in bed while watching Netflix and also serves as a delicious hangover remedy.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 ½ tbsp Flour
- 1 ¼ cup Milk
- 7 oz Gruyere, shredded
- Nutmeg, pinch
- 8 slices White Sandwich Bread
- 3 Granny Smith Apples, ¼ inch slices
- 3 tbsp Butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Pecan/Raisins/Walnuts. chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Grate Gruyere cheese. Set aside.
3. For the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, and continue whisk sauce for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add 6 ounces of gruyere and a pinch of nutmeg. Set aside.
4. For the apple pie filling, melt 2 tbsp of butter in a fry pan. Add apples and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and optional mix ins and cook for 2 minutes or until sugar is melted. Remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, lightly brush the bread with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter and set the slices of bread on a tray to bake for 5 minutes. Remove the bread to assemble the sandwiches
5. Evenly distribute apple mixture over half of the bread. Top with remaining slices. Spread the bechamel on each sandwich and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.