Lately I've been going on an insane sugar recipe binge, so I decided to use one of the most popular sweet fall flavors for a more savory dish. I've always loved butternut squash ravioli in a brown butter sauce, so I decided to do a different take on that with pumpkin instead. This is a pumpkin lasagna with goat cheese, gruyere, and rosemary, and it's baked in a brown butter for intense flavor. Yes.
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles, no boil
- 2 can (1 ½ cup) pumpkin purée
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- dash of salt, (anywhere from a pinch to ¼ teaspoon) to taste
- dash of pepper, (anywhere from a pinch to ¼ teaspoon) to taste
- 2 ½ cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. chevre goat cheese
- 2 sprigs (approx. 2 tablespoons) rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 stick of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin purée and half & half cream. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, salt, pepper and 2 cups of shredded Gruyere and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Lay the first layer of lasagna sheets in a baking dish and evenly spread pumpkin purée on top. Top the purée with goat cheese and about 1-2 teaspoons of finely chopped rosemary (how much is up to you).
4. Put more lasagna noodle sheets on top and repeat with another 2-3 layers (depending on how many noodles makes up a layer). To put it in simple terms:
LASAGNA = noodle sheets + pumpkin goat cheese rosemary combo + noodle layer + pumpkin goat cheese rosemary combo + noodle layer + pumpkin goat cheese rosemary combo
If you have enough for one more layer, feel free to do it!
5. Sprinkle the final layer with ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese and some extra rosemary. If you’re feeling ambitious and want a nutty fall flavor, add some pine nuts! I didn’t, but kind of wish I did.
6. Before placing the lasagna in the oven, create a brown butter sauce for the lasagna to bake in. Melt a stick of butter on medium heat, stirring occasionally until it browns. Pour the freshly hot brown butter onto the lasagna, so that it bakes in the sauce.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes.